Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Milk Paint, Pink Glass Knobs, and a Dresser I Love!

Remember this little treasure I found and wrote about here last month?


I finally got around to fixing her up.  Here are a few more before shots so you have a real good idea what I was working with!

I was hoping to stain the top, but I just could not get it nice enough so I ended up just painting the whole piece.


She even came with cobwebs and a few other nasties once I took her all apart!


This was the bottom of one of the drawers.  How does this happen?


The piece had been painted green at one time and then repainted brown.  The man I bought it from said they had kept it outside...nice.


I did not take any during pictures since I was a mess and did not want to even touch the camera.  I stripped as much as I could and sanded as best as I could...I am pretty sure they painted this with tar.  I could NOT get it all off.  If I had it to do over I would have just sanded it smooth to start with and been done.  Oh well.

I decided to try milk paint on this piece since it is all the rage in blogland.  I went with Miss Mustard Seed's Luckets Green.  For those of you who have no idea what milk paint is, it comes in a powder form and you mix it with water.  It has a lot of color variation and may or may not chip off for the antique look.  You can add a bonding agent so that you can control the distressing, but I did not use it.

So...Luckets Green...or blue...or yellow.  I had a really hard time with this color.  It seemed like the paint started out more blue green and then as I painted along it changed until it was almost a mustard yellow.  I loved the blue green and hated the mustard yellow.  After a lot of mixing and remixing I finally got it how I liked it.  I then added a dark brown metallic glaze.  I love the way it pulled out all the details!  Final step was to wax.

Oh and somewhere in the middle of the painting, glazing, and waxing, I replaced the bottom of the drawer with the hole.  I also lined the drawers with some super cute fabric. 

Last step...add adorable knobs!  And here she is all fixed up...


(Some day I am going to learn how to take magazine worthy pictures!  Until then this is as good as I've got)

Adorable knobs...

Can you see all the color variation and texture?


Love these legs!




Super cute fabric!

 
I really love the way she turned out!  I have listed her for sale, but for a ridiculous amount of money fairly high price in hopes that I can keep her.  She looks great in my daughter's room...


Why list her for sale if you want to keep her, you ask?  Just in case there is someone who loves her more than me...


Linking up here:




 
 

12 comments:

  1. WOW! what a huge difference- looks gorgeous and i love the fun knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really funny you used Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. I was all set to send you a link to it the other day but I had to run and deal with kids so completely forgot! =) That dresser look so cute. You should just keep it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know how that goes! I'm sure we will keep it...we already moved daughter's clothes in and she loves it. :)

      Delete
  3. oooh! Love it! I also just used Luckett's green for the first time. it was actually my first time using milk paint at all! i'm not finished with the piece yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how your project turns out!

      Delete
  4. Adorable! You did such a great job with it. Green was the perfect choice and it looks so good staged in that pink room :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! And thanks for the feature!

      Delete
  6. I love the way it turned out!! And it looks fabulous in sweet girl's room!

    ReplyDelete